Learners will cover:
- Anatomy and physiology covering the heart and circulatory system, the respiratory system, structure and function of the skeleton, musculoskeletal system, postural and core stability, the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to communicate with clients effectively and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- An understanding of the benefits of a balanced diet and its contribution to a healthy lifestyle
- An understanding of the principles of customer service
- How to plan and prepare group exercise sessions
- How to programme a variety of safe and effective exercise sessions for a range of clients
- How to instruct a variety of exercise sessions
- Understand factors that influence health and fitness
- Understand the scientific basis of health promotion
- Know ways to use own enterprise skills and characteristics
- Be able to use enterprise skills to plan, present and evaluate an enterprising project
This qualification is aimed at individuals wanting to pursue a career in the sport, health and wellness in the health, fitness and active leisure sectors. This qualification will suit individuals who want to become fitness instructors and/or health/wellness advisers. It is suitable for those considering employment/self-employment in different settings: health and fitness clubs and the wider community.
There are no formal prerequisites for this qualification, however learners should have an interest in sport and exercise.