Learners will cover:
Knowledge and understanding relating to the qualification:
- Recognise who ?independently active, older people? are in the population
- The ageing process and demographics
- The effects of ageing and inactivity on body systems, cognitive function/performance, psychological/emotional/social function and wellbeing
- The special considerations that must be taken into account when programming and delivering exercise for independently active, older people and the benefits of physical activity and exercise to them
- How to support and motivate the independently active, older adult in exercise and promote exercise for this section of the population
- The impact of ageing on the planning and delivery of safe exercise for independently active, older people
- The components of a pre-exercise consultation with independently active, older people
- How to plan and adapt exercise, and adapt session instruction, for independently active older people
Skills relating to the qualification:
- Conduct a pre-exercise consultation with independently active older people
- Plan a progressive programme for independently active, older people
The learner will be able to recognise the skills, knowledge and competence required in order to work with Independently Active, Older People in an unsupervised manner. There will be particular focus on the considerations for safe and effective exercise and how to plan and adapt exercise for this demographic group.
Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing or equivalent.