Knowledge and understanding relating to the qualification:
- The role and responsibilities of a first aider
- How to deal with and assess a casualty
Skills relating to the qualification:
- Conduct a secondary survey
- Administer first aid to a casualty with:
- Injuries to bones, muscles and joints
- Suspected head and spinal injuries
- Suspected chest injuries
- Burns and scalds
- An eye injury
- Sudden poisoning
- Be able to provide first aid to a casualty with suspected major illness
The aim of this qualification is to recognise the skills, knowledge and competence required for an individual to administer emergency first aid and to recognise and manage illness and injury in the workplace. This includes being able to assess, diagnose and treat casualties prior to the attendance of medically trained staff.
There are no formal prerequisites for this qualification.