The aim of this qualification is to provide the learner with the appropriate knowledge and skills to design, deliver, monitor and evaluate structured, individualised physical activity programmes for adults with low back pain, in accordance with current evidence-based guidelines.
Learners will cover:
Knowledge and understanding relating to the qualification:
- epidemiology of low back pain
- risks and causative factors involved in the development of low back pain
- national guidelines for the treatment and management of low back pain
- contraindications and psychosocial considerations when planning physical activities for the client with low back pain (risk stratification)
Skills relating to the qualification:
- subjective and objective methods to collect sufficient information to plan safe and effective physical activity programmes for individuals with low back pain
- how to select safe and effective physical activities which are specific to the client’s health status, risk stratification, needs and abilities
- the effective use of layering / layered cueing within progressive physical activity programmes for individuals with low back pain
- a range of validated methods used to monitor review and adapt physical activity programmes for individuals with low back pain
- advice covering lifestyle, homecare, exercise, which is suitable for the individual with low back pain
Registration status of full Level 3 Exercise Referral Instructor on the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs), or either of:
a) Registration at Level 4 prior to September 2011 plus achievement of a Level 3 fitness qualification
b) Achievement of a Level 4 prior to September 2011 plus achievement of a Level 3 fitness qualification
150 hours of relevant professional practice at Level 3 in designing, delivering, monitoring, adapting and tailoring exercise programmes for individuals gained within the previous two years and at least six months experience since qualification (to be evidenced in a CV and reference letter).
Note: Learners are required to complete the online Professional Practice unit via the members area of the REPs website (free to complete) where the learner holds an NVQ exercise referral qualification on the QCF. This unit is embedded in the QCF exercise referral qualifications.