A level 4 sports massage practitioner’s role includes planning, providing and evaluating sport massage treatments to seek to correct common patterns of dysfunction, and/or pre-diagnosed injuries, using a range of basic and advanced massage techniques.
Learners will cover:
Knowledge and understanding relating to the qualification:
- Anatomy and physiology of the major joints of the body
- The pathophysiology of common injuries/soft tissue patterns of dysfunction
- The principles and practice of objective assessment techniques and the influences and effects which such information has upon treatment planning
- How heat and ice may be used to safely support the soft tissue repair process
- The purpose and use of a range of soft tissue mobilisation and neuromuscular techniques used within sports massage therapy
Skills relating to the qualification:
- Conducting subjective and objective assessments
- Devising sports massage treatment plans to help correct identified areas of soft tissue dysfunction and /or support the soft tissue repair process of previously diagnosed injuries
- Application of a range of soft tissue mobilisation and neuromuscular techniques
- Evaluation of sports massage treatments
YMCA Awards Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy or equivalent.