Knowledge and understanding relating to the qualification:
- Roles and responsibilities of a first aider The skills, knowledge and competence required to administer emergency first aid
Skills relating to the qualification:
- Assess an incident
- Manage an unresponsive casualty
- Manage a casualty with external bleeding
- Assist a casualty who is choking
- Manage a casualty with a minor injury
- Manage a casualty who is in shock
The aim of this qualification is to recognise the skills, knowledge and competence required for an individual to administer emergency first aid in the workplace. This includes being able to assess, diagnose and treat casualties prior to the attendance of medically trained staff.
There are no formal prerequisites for this qualification, however learners should have an interest in sport and exercise.